Our ‘how to’ guide
- Once you’ve entered your email address, we’ll send you an email to verify your registration. Follow the link we send to you and that’s it, you’re officially an Odbody!
- Now you’re a member, you should add as much information as you can – at least the basics - you can come back at any time to add more detail (connections are more likely the more data you include).
- Once you’ve registered, you’ll be invited to import your contacts from other applications. This will help you to include your friends into your Odbody list, without having to manually enter each one. This action will not compromise your security or the security / privacy of any of your contacts: the importing of contacts merely allows us to bring in publicly available information through the use of other programmes’ available APIs (Application Programming Interfaces).
Now for the fun bit … you can now do one (or more) of the following:-
Add an Odbody Event
Enter as much information as you can into the appropriate boxes (as follows), and click ‘save’. This Event will now appear as an ‘unconfirmed’ (dotted line) on your life path. It will also appear as a short entry in your Journal (you’ll be able to expand upon this event by Editing the Event):
- Give the Event a name: it could be an ‘event’ e.g. ‘Jane’s party’ or ‘holiday in Devon’; it could be a ‘person’ e.g. ‘met Richard Taylor’, or ‘saw Morgan Freeman’; it could be an ‘action’ e.g. ‘read The Kite Runner’ or ‘saw Gone with the Wind’, or ‘first heard Champagne Supernova’; it could be something that happened to you e.g. ‘Someone saved my life’. The title of your Event will appear on your life path will also be the heading of your short Journal entry
- Confirm the type of Event by choosing from the drop-down list
- Confirm where the Event happened (if applicable)
- Confirm when the Event took place – doesn’t have to be an exact date
- Choose what influence the Event had on you – was it positive / negative or neutral
- Choose the effect that the Event has had on your life: life changing / memorable / inspiring/ ordinary
- Add people to your Event. You’ll see that you have the chance to choose people that you already have as friends on Odbody or … and this is the special bit … you’ll have the chance to create an ‘Odbody Moment’!
- GiveClick 'continue' if you'd like to add more information to this event:
- The 'continue' button takes you to the second tabbed section 'details'. Here, you can add a short synopsis of the event (up to 140 characters) which will appear on your life path once the event's clicked on. You can also add more detail - this will appear in 'my events' and 'my journal'
- Once again, click 'save' if you've finished, or 'continue' to add more detail.
- Clicking 'continue' takes you through to the third tabbed section 'friends'. Here you can add friends that you've already identified on Odbody that were also present at this event.
- Click 'save' if you've finished, or 'continue' to add more detail.
- Clicking 'continue' takes you through to the fourth tabbed section 'find'. Here, you can launch an Odbody Moment search for someone linked to your event, that you may not know the name of: Fill in each of the sections requested (as many as you can), and a search will be launched for people that match your description. Who knows, we may help you to find that long lost person who made a difference to your life - and even to thank them for their inspiration, contribution to your life, and for the difference they made.
- The fifth tab simply allows you to turn off the 'search' facility. By doing this, none of the information that's been entered by you to this event will be searched upon by Odbody. You won't create any matches, or find any people that were present - it'll simply appear on your life path, in your journal and in your events as an unconfirmed event. You'll also have the opportunity to set the privacy level for this event.
An Odbody Moment is your chance to connect with people who’ve made an impact on your life and have made a difference to you; those that you’ve never had a chance to recognise or even thank. By adding as much of a description of the person who made their mark, you’ll be able to let them know what an inspiration they were or how they helped to change the direction of your life.
Start a Person Search
Clicking this button on the left hand menu will allow you to launch a search for somone you know, or don't know and to thank them for making a difference to your life. You'll have the opportunity to find them, connect with them (there are a couple of confirmation stages to go through), and then to send them a message, send them a card, or even send them a gift.
When you reach the final tabbed section (more detail), you'll be able to add some keywords that'll help us to find the person that you're looking for. You may like to mention things that you remember about that person or the time you met them: their accent, what they were wearing, the car they were driving, the film you were watching, the book they were reading, whether they were alone or with others and so on... the more we have to search on, the easier it'll be to create an Odbody Moment.
Once an Odbody search discovers someone who possibly matches the description that you’ve included, a message will be sent to them to confirm that it was indeed them. For any number of reasons, that Odbody may choose to confirm or deny the Event. If the Event is confirmed, you will be sent a message to that effect. You’ll then need to verify that the Odbody is indeed the person you intended to connect with and … hey presto … an Odbody Moment is created!
In the event that an Odbody moment is unclaimed, it doesn’t disappear, it remains an ‘unclaimed Odbody Moment’ and stays active until someone that matches the description registers. Who knows, in days, weeks, months or even years, you may be given the chance to thank that person who made a difference and inspired you.
Add to, or edit your profile from this section of odbody.com. The more information you add about yourself, the better the chances of you being matched to other Odbodys. Fill in each of the boxes, or choose from the dropdowns as suggested and then, at the end, add as many keywords as you can that you think will help to describe you to someone who's searching. A few examples: your accent, your style of clothing, previous hair colours, the car you drive, previous places that you've lived, worked, holidayed or studied, pets you've had, partners you've had (if any?!), things that you're well known for: or any special and unique thing that you know other will use to describe you.
Odbody will allow you to create additional profiles. Your profile is about your life - Odbody’s key objectives are to record your life and to see how you made a difference. In the case of a dearly departed friend or relative, how amazing would it be to create Odbody Moments on their Lifetree – to fill in some of the ‘gaps’ by adding the things you know and allowing their Lifetree to organically evolve? Other people adding Events that involved your second profile Odbody would ‘connect’ with them, allowing you to make a judgement call as to whether that event should be confirmed or denied.
You will also be able to record your children’s lives. Up until your offspring have the responsibility of administering their own profile, why not add information on their behalf and ‘gift’ it to them at the appropriate time? We would advise that Odbody members are over 18 to ensure that they are safe and responsible members. All of those Events that we forget as we become adults will be recorded for your children – moments that are never lost and Odbodys that have made a difference … before they even knew it!
Throughout the Odbody site, you'll be given the opportunity to 'request frienship' with other Odbodys that you've made a connection with. This space is where your friends are listed, and you can send messages to them. You can even block them if you fall out of the happy tree!
Any time that you’re signed into Odbody, you can add friends in a couple of different ways:
- Using the ‘my friends’ button will allow you to manually enter in a friend’(s’) email address(es) and either find them on Odbody.com, or invite them to become a member: remember, the more members, the more likely Odbody moments will be created.
- You'll also be able to ‘Invite friends’: another chance for Odbody to import friends from other applications that you’re registered with: Googlemail; Hotmail; Facebook; Yahoo etc
- ‘My friends’ is the place where you can find a list of your friends and either message them or visit their profiles.
This is the place to see a list of all those Odbodys that you've created successful connections with, but that are not in your 'friends' list. From this page you can 'send a message', 'request friendship' or 'block' them if you'd like to... we're all entitled to change our minds!
By choosing ‘Your matches’ you’ll see two lists of connections:
- A list of Odbody searches that you've currently got active, and a list of people that could possibly match. You can speed up an Odbody Moment at this point - if you recognise one of the people as the person that you're looking for, you can 'request a connection' with them instead of waiting for them to notice that you're looking for them - double whammy!
- A list of 'Everything Else': you'll be able to see other Odbodys that you have things in common with. For example, if one of your Events was ‘read The Kite Runner’, you’ll have a list of other Odbodys who’ve recorded this book as something that affected their life. You can visit their profile, request their friendship, or send them a message if you'd like to. Alternatively, you may have no desire to connect with them whatsoever, in which case you can steer well clear and do nothing! If you’ve added an event ‘Tash’s party’, other Odbodys who’ve added this as an event will appear in your list – you never know, you may find someone that you’d forgotten was at the same party too … by adding them to your event, you’ve created a new connection.
Odbody has your privacy and security at the heart of its operation. We know that a huge concern in this digital age is the security of your data and the privacy that you may wish to retain. For this reason, a permanent scale allows you to:
- Set an overall privacy level for your profile (from 'my profile' section). You may wish to hide your profile from everyone, and use it only to record your life; you can choose to show your profile to all the friends that appear in your ‘Friends’ list; you also have the option to allow only select friends to view your profile; you may wish to show the world … at the most open level, you may wish to share your life and times with all those that register with Odbody and to allow search engines to spot you – it really is up to you
- Set a privacy level for each event that you enter onto your life path, or into your journal. You will be asked to set the privacy level each time you enter information into your profile … you may wish to share some things with everyone and some things with no one. If your overall profile setting is ‘public’ and an event is entered as ‘private’, that event will only appear on your life path as ‘private event’ – nothing more will be seen and no one will have permission (or the ability) to click through to any further details about that event